Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Self-Critique on Bartender Short Film

1. Bartender (undecided)

2. The main idea that we started with was based on people being apart of their everyday work areas. We often wear masks at work to please the people that we serve. We each shared our thoughts on the reactions that people have of other people who are being trying. I was interested in the idea of self worth.

Our ideas began to center around the convenience of a location. Angee told us that she had a possible location, which was a bar. Scenes and events often define a part of our personalities. We decided that a bartender would be the main focus while three other customers tried her patience.

3. The source of the idea was a collaborative thought that was built off of Angee’s experience as a bartender. She expressed her frustration with people that want to pure their entire life unto a stranger.

The idea resonates with me because; in my oral communication class there has been a focus on the personalities of people in certain situations. After class, my friends and I discussed what we thought about the impact of situations and events on the personality traits perceived by others.

4. The bartender is supposed to be frustrated with the people that she has to serve that night. These particular customers all have exaggerated stories that describe a phase in their life and through the expressions made by the bartender the audience is meant to see the humor in her facial expressions to describe her apathy in the customer’s problems.

5. On a routine day at the job the bartender serves three customers who all carry heavy baggage and they tell their stories to the exhausted bartender. With each customer’s complaints, she becomes more fed up with each customer as she compares their struggles with her own.

6. At first I imagined more subtle messages from the bartender’s expressions, but as we film I could tell that it was more exciting to watch her exaggerate her expressions just as much as the customer’s stories. Originally I was hoping for the main character to appear more complex just through facial expressions but I soon realized that she would just be viewed as an angry apathetic bartender. This was not a major concern to me by the end of the film because it helped the film as a satire. This was obviously just an ordinary person on another day at work that runs into crazy people all the time. This time she just can’t really deal with it.

7. The strengths of the film persist in our actors as well as the crew. Everyone clicked very soon and we understood the task at hand and went fourth in the most productive fashion as possible. Strengths also was that each crew member was able to contribute an equal amount of energy and mental awareness. The scripts were pretty strong and the actors were able to make improvements to the script in all the right places.

8. The main area that I am concerned with is how the audience with perceived the bartender. Will they be empathetic with her having to serve such crazy people or will they dismiss her struggles and automatically label her before the end of the film.

As everyone in my group I am also afraid of the cuts that will have to be made. The scene when the glasses are being passed back and forth will be a challenge.

9. Even though I was unable to operate the camera because of my absence on instruction, I was still happy with what I learned about. I was able to deal audio and understand how it works in relation to the actors/ actresses and the camera. I was appreciative that everyone showed up at a decent time and that we all worked together.

No comments:

Post a Comment